It’s nice to own beautiful jewelry. It’s also nice to give back.
Every so often a charitable organization comes along that has not only the heart to succeed and help others, but also the intellect. The founders of Jewelers for Children knew that with the right collection of participants, they could raise quite a substantial amount of capital and allocate it to a variety of fully functioning charities which specialize in improving the lives of children. This coalition was formed in 1999 and has raised and distributed an astounding $45 million thus far. With new companies, from emerging jewelers to giant corporations (J.C. Penny, Rolex, Tag Heuer) continuously added to their ever expanding roster, JFC shows no sign of slowing down.
Each charity that JFC supports has been carefully selected with the goal of providing children in need with the specific aid they require. Here are just some of the highly effectual organizations on their list:
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital – a cancer treatment facility and research center that has made incredible strides (including bone marrow transplant procedures and a range of genetic therapy advances) in helping children afflicted with the many forms of the disease.
- The Make-A-Wish Foundation® of America – an alliance that literally grants the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses. Has made such a significant impact in the United States, they are able to grant a child’s wish “every 38 minutes.”
- Make-A-Wish Foundation® International – JFC works specifically with the faction of this program that focuses on making children’s wishes come true in India.
- The National CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) Association – a group that monitors children who have experienced abuse as they pass through the system and transition to new homes.
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation – this efficacious international organization functions to prevent HIV-positive, pregnant African women from passing the disease on to their babies.
- Autism Speaks – an outreach program that seeks to diagnose babies/toddlers with the autism as soon as possible, in order to educate their families on proper treatment.
- The Santa-America Fund – this group trains and organizes individuals who give children in need and/or crisis a much appreciated visit from Santa.
- Save the Children – an international coalition that provides immediate aid to children facing disasters (the earthquake in Haiti, the tsunami in Japan, hurricane Katrina)
– and many, many more.
This past year has seen such an increase in participation all over the globe, that JFC now can boast over 3,400 companies in its network of contributors. The hardworking members of the JFC board have ensured that children both far and near will continue to receive the various incarnations of support that they so very much need.
Diamond Lighthouse is extremely proud to be added to the list of donors that have helped to make Jewelers for Children what it is today.
Find out how you too can help, here.